Principal

      Comentar publicación Español
x

Elige tu idioma

EnglishEspañol

Bar Harbor - Maine

Ver en modo diapositivas

 

Bar Harbor - Maine

 

Fotos en el album: 40

 

Bar Harbor is the largest town in Mount Desert Island, with a population of about 5,200. In 1604, Samuel de Champlain named the island "Isle des Monts Desert" because he saw the summits of the mountains were barren and rocky (while the rest of the island is covered by thick forests). The city of Bar Harbor was settled between the 1760s and 1770s. Later it was incorporated on February 23, 1796. The town's original name was Eden and it was changed in 1918 to Bar Harbor, its current name.

During the second half of the 19th century it was a popular summer destination. The first hotel in Bar Harbor (the Agamont House) was built by Tobias Roberts in 1855. Until the 1880s there was a land boom in the area, when many rich people built cottages here.

During those years, George B. Dorr and Charles W. Eliot woked to establish a National Park in the area, later they were joined by John D. Rockefeller. In 1916, the park was organized under the name of Sieur de Monts monument. Then, in 1919 it was renamed Lafayette National Park, and finally in 1929 it took its current name: 
Acadia National Park. George B. Dorr became the first Superintendant of the Park.

Photo Credit:

Sources of information:

Sé el primero al que le gusta
Compartir


Sigue a Youbioit